Hello everybody, welcome to our recipe site, if you’re looking for Dum Aloo recipe, look no further! We provide you only the perfect Dum Aloo recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Dum Aloo recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Healthy Eating Can Be An Easy Thing To Follow.
Opting to eat healthily provides marvelous benefits and is becoming a more popular way of living. Poor diet is a contributing factor in health problems such as heart disease and hypertension which can put a drain on the economy. Although we’re always being encouraged to adopt healthy eating habits, it is also easier than ever to rely on fast food and other convenience items that are not good for us. In all probability, a lot of people think that it takes too much work to eat healthily and that they will have to drastically change their way of life. It is possible, however, to make several simple changes that can start to make a positive impact to our day-to-day eating habits.
The first change you can make is to pay more attention to what you purchase when you shop for food since it is likely that you tend to pick up many of the things without thinking. For instance, has it crossed your mind to check how much sugar and salt are in your breakfast cereal? A superb healthy alternative can be porridge oats which have been shown to be good for your heart and can give you good sustainable energy each day. If this is not to your liking on its own, try mixing in fresh fruits that can supply you with other healthy nutrients and as such, one small change to your diet has been achieved.
Thus, it should be fairly obvious that it’s not at all difficult to add healthy eating to your daily lifestyle.
We hope you got benefit from reading it, now let’s go back to dum aloo recipe. You can cook dum aloo using 20 ingredients and 18 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
The ingredients needed to cook Dum Aloo:
- Take 15-16 of baby potatoes (can replace with 4-5 normal Potatoes cut in small cubes).
- You need 2 of medium sized onions.
- Use 1 tbsp of ginger paste.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of garlic paste.
- Take to taste of Salt.
- Provide 2 of green chilies.
- Prepare 1 of medium sized tomato.
- Use 1/2 inch of cinnamon stick.
- Use 1 of star anise.
- Take 3 of green cardamoms.
- Provide 3 of cloves.
- Take 1 of tej patta (bay leaf).
- You need 1/2 tsp of jeera powder.
- Get 1 tsp of coriander powder.
- Get 1 tsp of garam masala.
- Use 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder.
- Take 1/4 tsp of hing (asafetida).
- You need 1 tsp of kasuri methi.
- Prepare 1 tsp of red chilli powder.
- You need For frying of Oil + more oil for making curry.
Instructions to make Dum Aloo:
- Take 15-16 baby potatoes or 4-5 normal sized potatoes and boil them for 2 whistles in a pressure cooker..
- Make sure do not boil it till they are very soft as in next steps we will deep dry them & cook them in curry. Once the potatoes are boiled, peel off the skin..
- If using normal sized potatoes (just like I did), cut them in four parts and keep them aside..
- Heat oil in a fry pan on a medium heat and then start deep frying the potatoes till they get golden brown. Do not over crowd the pan & fry them in batches. Keep the fried potatoes aside and let them cool off..
- Alternatively, use can pan fry them with less oil. Prick the potatoes with tooth pick and shallow fry them in oil. You can add some chilli powder, chaat masala, salt in the oil to impart more flavor to potato..
- To start making curry, in a pan add 4-5 tbsp. of oil and heat it on medium flame..
- Add 1/2 inch cinnamon stick, 1 star anise, 3 green cardamoms, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 tsp. jeera seeds & 3 cloves and fry them for 30-40 seconds..
- To it, add finely diced 2 medium sized onions and fry them till they get browned..
- Once they are browned, add 1 tbsp. ginger & 1 tbsp. garlic paste.Fry them for 2-3 minutes till the raw aroma of ginger garlic goes off..
- Now add 1 medium sized diced tomato and 2 green chilies to the mixture. Let it cook for 5-7 minutes till the tomatoes become soft and mushy. Turn off the gas and let the mixture cool down..
- Once the mixture is cooled down, add the mixture in the blender and turn it into a smooth paste..
- Transfer this paste again to the same pan & add also the spices (1 tsp. coriander powder, 1 tsp. garam masala, 1 tsp. red chilli powder, salt to taste, 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder and pinch of hing).
- Cook the mixture till the gravy turns to boil on lower flame..
- Add the fried potatoes at this stage..
- Adjust the thickness of gravy by adding water (I added 1 cup of water).
- Let it come to boil and add 1 tsp. crushed kasuri methi and mix well..
- Taste the curry and adjust the spices and thickness as per your preference..
- Serve hot with naan or roti or rice..
If you find this Dum Aloo recipe valuable please share it to your good friends or family, thank you and good luck.