A lot of us believe that comfort foods are terrible for us and that we should stay away from them. At times, if the comfort food is candy or some other junk food, this is very true. Otherwise, comfort foods can be really nutritious and good for you. There are some foods that, when you eat them, can better your mood. When you are feeling a little down and are in need of an emotional boost, try a few of these., adzuki and sweet potato yokan.
Eggs, believe it or not, can be really wonderful at fighting back depression. Just see to it that you do not toss the egg yolk. Every time you want to cheer yourself up, the egg yolk is the most important part of the egg. Eggs, specifically the yolks, are loaded with B vitamins. B vitamins can be terrific for boosting your mood. This is because they help improve the function of your neural transmitters, the parts of your brain that affect your mood. Eat an egg and feel happier!
Make a trail mix out of seeds and/or nuts. Peanuts, cashews, sunflower seeds, almonds, pumpkin seeds, etcetera are all great for helping to elevate your mood. This is possible because these foods are rich in magnesium which increases serotonin production. Serotonin is the "feel good" natural substance that dictates to your brain how you feel day in and day out. The higher your levels of serotonin, the more pleasant you are going to feel. Nuts, along with elevating your mood, can be a superb protein source.
Adzuki and Sweet Potato Yokan is one of the most favored of current trending meals in the world. It is appreciated by millions every day. It’s easy, it’s fast, it tastes delicious. They are fine and they look wonderful. Adzuki and Sweet Potato Yokan is something that I have loved my entire life.
Great recipe for Adzuki and Sweet Potato Yokan. Cookpad user Bubukun's recipe, "Sweet Carrots in the Rice Cooker" gave me the idea of cooking sweet potato like this. Adjust the amount of maple syrup to taste. When you put the mixture into a container, it is important to remove bubbles.
To get started with this recipe, we must prepare a few components. You can cook adzuki and sweet potato yokan using 6 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you can achieve that.
The ingredients needed to make Adzuki and Sweet Potato Yokan:
- Take 200 grams Sweet potato
- Get 100 grams Koshi-an or tsubu-an
- Prepare 1 pinch Salt
- Take 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- Get 100 ml Water
- Get 2 grams Kanten powder
Our last trip to the local Asian supermarket to buy pulses resulted in the familiar split peas and butter beans, plus something called red cow peas. Early yokan was mushi-yokan (steamed yokan) made by mixing adzuki beans with wheat flour or powdered arrowroot. Imo-yokan (yokan containing sweet potato paste) and Uiro (a sort of sweetened steamed cake made of rice powder) were derived from mushi-yokan. In those days, sugar was very valuable because it was not produced domestically.
Steps to make Adzuki and Sweet Potato Yokan:
- Put the sweet potato in a rice cooker with 500 ml of water (not listed). Press Start and wait until the cooking is finished. Check with a skewer to see if it's cooked through. If it is not cooked enough press the Start button again until it's done (you can also microwave or boil the sweet potato if you'd prefer).
- Peel the sweet potato and mash. Add salt and maple syrup and mix well.
- Make the kanten solution. Combine water and kanten in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring with a balloon whisk. After bringing to a boil, reduce the heat to low and continue to cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Take 3 tablespoons of the kanten solution and add to the adzuki bean paste. Mix well.
- Transfer the bean paste to a container (I use a 15 x 10 x 4 cm plastic container). Flatten the surface and get rid of bubbles.
- Add the rest of the kanten solution to the sweet potato mash. Mix well.
- Transfer Step 6 to the container with the bean paste (make sure the anko has settled for at least 2 minutes before to let it settle a little and it will be easier to form). Press down tightly and do not leave bubbles between the adzuki and sweet potato.
- Place in the fridge and chill until set. (It will set even at room temperature.)
Imo-yokan (yokan containing sweet potato paste) and Uiro (a sort of sweetened steamed cake made of rice powder) were derived from mushi-yokan. In those days, sugar was very valuable because it was not produced domestically. Yokan comes in two basic types: neri yokan and mizu yokan. The latter has less agar, giving it a softer and more liquid texture and is often served chilled in summer. Mizu Yokan is a traditional Japanese dessert, or wagashi, as it is known in Japanese cuisine.
If you want to fight depression, try eating some cold water fish. Salmon, herring, tuna, mackerel, trout, and so on, they're all loaded with omega-3s and DHA. These are two substances that increase the quality and function of the grey matter in your brain. It's true: consuming a tuna fish sandwich can seriously raise your mood.
Some grains are truly great for fighting off bad moods. Millet, quinoa, barley, etc are fantastic at helping you have a happier mood. These grains can help you feel full for longer too, which is a mood improver. Feeling starved can actually bring you down! These grains can help your mood elevate as it's not at all difficult for your body to digest them. They are easier to digest than other foods which helps raise your blood sugar levels and that, in turn, improves your mood.
Your mood could truly be helped by green tea. You were simply waiting to read that, weren't you? Green tea is loaded with an amino acid referred to as L-theanine. Studies have found that this specific amino acid can basically stimulate brain waves. This helps focus your mental energy while at the same time making the rest of your body more relaxed. You were already aware that green tea could help you become so much healthier. Now you know that green tea can elevate your mood as well!
See, you don't need to eat all that junk food when you are wanting to feel better! Try a few of these instead!
So that is going to wrap this up with this special food adzuki and sweet potato yokan recipe. Thank you very much for reading. I am confident that you can make this at home. There’s gonna be more interesting food at home recipes coming up. Remember to save this page in your browser, and share it to your family, colleague and friends. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!